Monday, March 13, 2006

Body and Soul --Audition pieces

Play Summary
‘Body and Soul’ is a play that explores how sexual desire is constructed, specifically the role of technology in such construction. The play centres around Jane, a necrophiliac, and her sister Jane’s weakening relationship with her husband Henry. As Jane declares her desires to the world, Henry promotes a new form of virtual reality that enables one to construct their own sexual partner without another body being present. ‘Body and Soul’ is slightly absurdist in style, housing both dramatic and comic moments. The roles of intimacy, love, and desire are called into play within this examination of sex in society.
Several reviews:
“…a wry, provocative and entertaining discussion of the relationship between technology and human desires and needs.”- Toronto Star
“…a literate and witty examination of sex and virtual reality…’-Toronto Sun
“…a slightly surreal comedy-drama about necrophilia and virtual sex…full of juicy scenes and lines.’- The Globe and Mail
“…thought-provoking, intelligent, insightful, well written…”-CBC Radio


Character Summaries
Jane
Jane is a woman in her early twenties, with a very independent attitude. She is practicing necrophiliac, and is not ashamed of her sexual desires. She is very comfortable with her sexuality, and often avoids making emotional connections to others. Sister to Sally.

Sally
Likely in her late twenties to early thirties, Sally is struggling to maintain a sense of intimacy within her marriage. She sees physical appearance as the key to retaining the love of her husband, Henry. She often takes on a mothering role in relation to her sister Jane, which is met with flat out rejection.

Henry
Henry is an intellectual in his late twenties to early thirties, and is very frustrated with his position in life. He loves his wife Sally, but he manifests much of his frustration through his sexuality, which directly affects his relationship with his wife.

Mary/Connie/Scientist*
Mary is an older woman, mourning the death of her son, who is the object of Jane’s desires. Connie is talk show host, fuelling her career off of her sexuality. The scientist holds a strong belief in the value of using science to fulfill sexual desire.
*All of the above characters will be played by one actor.

Mark/Ed/Doctor*
Mark is an awkward young man who attempts to form a relationship with Jane, and fails miserably. Ed is a guest on a talk show who has written a book arguing that the manipulation of truth can be used as a tool to get ahead in life. The doctor is Henry’s physiatrist, and an advocate of a hedonistic approach to existence.


1.
Female monologue
Sally
: When I was younger, my roommate invited a man whose wife was out of town over to our apartment for the evening. We had a wonderful dinner, with lots of wine, and afterwards we all lay down near each other to listen to some music. Before long my roommate said she was falling asleep and went into her bedroom. Her friend asked if he could stay until the song was over. As we lay there listening I felt the most beautiful sensation rising through my body. There was nothing I wanted more than to reach over and take his hand. And I knew he wanted to touch me too. But he couldn’t. So we lay there thinking about each other until the music ended.
[Pause]
I used to think it was a tragedy that nothing happened. But looking back I’m glad it didn’t. How could our touching have made any difference? It wouldn’t have added anything to what we felt. It would only have cheapened a beautiful memory.
[Pause]
Just be with me Henry. Please. I’m right here….You don’t need anything more.

2.
Male monologue
Henry
: Regarding women as more or less the same as corpses doesn’t seem all that healthy to me.
Doctor: Try it. Remember, you’re not a pig. You’re a god.
When you die you’ll miss your body at first. You’ll feel like a shadow squeezed into a crack between rocks. All around you, you’ll be aware of humans and animals copulating. If the thought attracts you, if you long to re-enter a body, you’ll be lost. At that moment a light will appear to guide you. No matter how much it hurts, you must follow that light. Give up all belief in a separate self, immerse yourself in the light, recognize this boundless light as your true self and you will be saved.
[Pause]
I’m afraid our time is up. How’s next Thursday at three?

3.
Scene for two females
Sally: Why don’t you come stay with me for awhile?
Jane: Why would I do that?
Sally: We have the extra room. You wouldn’t have to pay rent. You’d have time to look for a different job. Go back to school. Retrain.
Jane: I like my job.
Sally: No funeral home is going to hire you now.
Jane: Sure they will.
Sally: Are you joking?
Jane: What I do is no worse than using a living body to get off. In fact it’s better. No one gets hurt. Afterwards I can go to the grave and mourn along with the rest of the family.
[Pause]
Sally: You’ve got to get help.
Jane: There’s nothing wrong with me.
Sally: Jane, please- I know why you do it.
Jane: Do you?
Sally: One day you’re going to get in touch with your anger at Dad and find a healthier way of expressing it.
[Pause]
Jane: I thought you were intelligent.
Sally: Jane.
Jane: You think you can talk me out of it.
Sally: I’m only trying to help.
Jane. I’m very popular right now. I have plenty of guys asking me out. More than you ever had. They think I do it because I’m hard up. They think if they screw me I’ll finally see what the real thing is and give up bodies.
Sally: What about the contact- the communication?
Jane: I’m talking about something deeper than communication.
[Pause]
Love isn’t just sharing things, good conversation, romance. That’s companionship. There aren’t many people who know how to love now.
[Pause]
If someone whips himself for love, is that sick? At least there’s some feeling.
[Pause]
If you knew what it felt like. I find the smell of a death very erotic. When you get on top of a body it tends to purge blood from the mouth…I guess you have to be there…You can’t describe the smell of roses to someone who’s never smelled anything like it.
[Pause]
It’s late. I’ve got an interview tomorrow. Are you staying?
Sally: No, I think I’ll go home.
Jane: You could sleep on the couch. It folds out.
Sally: Henry’s expecting me
Jane: Well I hope I see you again soon. Don’t be a stranger.
Sally: Yes.
Jane: Say hello to Mom.
Sally: I will.
[Pause. Sally turns to go]
Jane: Sally
Sally: Yes.
Jane: I know you’re only trying to help. But don’t worry too much about me. There’s nothing you can say to change me…It’s what I like.

4.
Scene for one male and one female.
Henry: Try it. Put the suit on too.
Sally: No.
Henry: Why not?
Sally: I don’t want to make love to a machine.
Henry: You’ll be making love to me.
Sally: How could it be you?
Henry: We never see or touch the real person.
Sally: I do.
Henry: You see something created by your brain. So what does it matter if we adjust the perceiving mechanisms. It’ll be me responding. Haven’t you ever wanted to be more beautiful?
Sally: No.
Henry: You could look like you did ten years ago.
Sally: No!
[Pause]
You’re planning to market these things?
Henry: Think of all th people who feel they’ve been cheated by life. I’m going to give them a means to be happy. It’ll be the beginning of real social change.
Sally: What?
Henry: It’ll be the beginning of democracy!
Sally: Democracy?
Henry: Yes.
Sally: You’re not a prophet, Henry- you’re a pimp. You’ll be selling more sexist consumerism.
Henry: It’s not just sex. One day we’ll fly, sound the ocean, scatter ourselves across the universe- all without moving. If you knew what it felt like! We could visit Indra’s Grove! We could experience it together.
[Pause]
Sally: Am I that ugly?
Henry: You’re beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home